I like this product, its really cool to make static image based wireframes, however its missing a very important element. Now a days clients want to see a working prototype in which they can test functionality not just look at static imagery. One tool that accomplishes this is Axure. It can generate a functional version into html. Which clients then can go click on links and see how it works. It also has the ability to add annotations.

I think if wirefrarmeSketcher can get to this level where its actually functions as html based mockups this will dramatically improve this system as well as bring huge competition to our similar products.

Hi Johan,

I am happy to hear that you like the product. Yes, some limited interactivity support is a highly requested feature and I am planning to work on it in the near future. I am thinking of doing something in this style:

http://wireframesketcher.com/blog/2009-07-23-prototyping-ui-workflows-with-xmind.html

This blog post talks about a new "Flow Editor". This editor will allow to take a set of screens and link them together. My vision is that drawing screen mockups and linking screens together should be two separate phases. Two separate editors will make this separation clear. Here's how it will look:

Flow Editor

A thing to note is that each screen in the flow will also have a separate tab. Tabs will allow to see the screen in full size and create links to other screens in the flow.

I'd like to hear what you think about this. Also, have you seen the support for storyboards? This is another tool that can be used to prototype interactivity.

Forgot to mention that HTML export for flows will be the next logical step.

I like the idea. It could be useful and could make things easier by taking existing imagery and linking them in some form. However it still outlines a fundamental flaw. Clients like to interact with the wireframe just like they would with html. for instance clicking on a dropdown and selecting an item which populates another dropdown.

I strongly believe the interaction between client and prototype is essential as this will increase better understanding of the system you will design and prevent change being made after then system has been created. It will also outline usability flaws when "play" with the prototype.

This method you want to implement will be very good for building mockups for non-html based programs just as AIR applications or C++ applicants but for online products it might require a little more creativity.

Johan,

I agree. This is a useful functionality to have. However I see this as a different application with a different scope. WireframeSketcher tries to be a simple wireframing app and I want to keep my focus on that, at least for now.

Did you consider other alternatives? I'd like to point you to an AIR app developed by a fellow Romanian. It's called FlairBuilder and you can find it here: http://flairbuilder.com

It markets itself as a simpler alternative to Axure and I think it does exactly what you are looking for.

Hi, yes I have seen this. Looks good. I currently use Axure for all my wireframes as its easy to use and gives me all the functionality I need, including html export.

I have also looked at other systems similar to yours like Balsamiq.I must say I will definitely use wireframesketcher when I build my AIR applications in Aptana. Its just so convenient to have everything in one application. I then use Axure for all my web development products.

I think one you have the linking on images I will try it with my web development and see if it can still on some level provide what I need to present to client.

Thanks for all your hard work you have put into this product. Think it will do really well, if not already :)

I'll definitely keep in mind the more Axure-like direction as there is a lot of interest in that. Eclipse clearly has some advantages for this kind of software. A cross-platform Axure?

And thank you for your wishes. I am still at the beginning so I am yet to see how things will go from here. However I plan to spend more time on WireframeSketcher starting with October. This should definitely allow me to advance the product quicker.

I agree, a HTML based workflow is "must to have"! It's not really necessary to have interactions on each particular widget. A simply workflow of screen images is quite enough for presentations. Clients want to have such HTML presentations. You will see, requests for your product will go up.

Best regards Oleg.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I've just introduced linking to support interactive prototypes. You can test prototypes in full-screen mode and export them to clickable PDF. The full blog post is here:

http://wireframesketcher.com/blog/2010-09-27-linking-and-interactive-prototypes.html

Please let me know how it works for you!