Hello!

I am running my SWING Java program outside Eclipse or under debug, and want to grab this window to Wireframe's XML.

Is that supported? Shift+Alt+F2 works inside Eclipse only, so it has not any sense for me. Can I run your spy as standalone program and grab another standalone apps (SWING or QT)?

Hi,

The Spy plugin is designed to work with Eclipse and Eclipse-based applications. It's mostly a proof of concept thing that I didn't take too far. Right now it only works with SWT toolkit.

In some near future I plan to open-source WireframeSketcher's Java model and the Spy plugin. This should make it possible for users to integrate WireframeSketcher in other workflows like yours. I think a Spy app for SWING is easy to implement since SWING is similar to SWT and it's all Java. I am not sure about QT but it's probably also doable if you use their Java interface.

Best regards,

Thank you for your answer.

what about browsing the internet through eclipse and capturing via the copy key combination shift + alt + F5 is this possible?

Carey,

Capturing a webpage and transforming it to a wireframe is a difficult thing to do. I don't know about any other tool that does that.

If it's of any help, you can copy and paste text and images from the webpage into your wireframe.

Hi,

One of our users just started the development of an open-source project for importing Swing GUI into WireframeSketcher. Here's the Google Code project page: http://code.google.com/p/swing2mockup/

I hope you can provide some useful feedback to the developer.

Best regards,

Hello Peter,

Let us know please when you have published the open-source WireframeSketcher's Java model. I have an idea in mind. I would like to convert XHTML files in JavaServer Faces web applications to screens. JSF is component based; there are components and corresponding tags like h:selectOneMenu, h:panelGroup, h:dataTable, etc. A mapping between tags (components) and wireframe widgets would be simple to do. So, I think we could parse XHTML files, extract tags and assign to corresponding wireframe widgets. The problem is CSS and layout. Maybe a handling of DOM tree (rendered page) would be a better solution. Just grab the page and do a proper screen :-).

Thanks you for the great tool! - Oleg.

Hi Oleg,

Thank you for your kind words!

I must confess that I didn't spent any time on open-sourcing the Java model. Still, I'd like to send you the sources so that you can give your idea a try. If it works out well I'll reserve more time for making the sources public. Please contact me directly and I'll send you all the necessary data and information!

Best regards,