Hello

I am using Wireframesketcher in my Eclipse 3.4.1. I do not get the user interface following the instruction:

To get started open the Sketching perspective in Eclipse using Window→Open Perspective→Other…→Sketching. The screenshot below shows all the important views used by WireframeSketcher. These views are opened by default in Sketching perspective:

I think somehow it does not get the default about.screen file. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks Regards Shyam Parhi

It looks like an installation problem. Either the WireframeSketcher plugin or one of its dependencies are not installed. What method did you use? My advice is to use the update manager. It should avoid problems like this.

Thanks Peter. I downloaded the wireframesketcher_1.4.2.zip from wireframesketcher.com site. Then I copied the plugins from wireframesketcher into the Eclipse plugins. Also I copied the the file in Features directory in Wireframesketcher into the features directory of Eclipse.

Pl suggest. thanks...Shyam Parhi

This is what I thought. You also need to install GEF and EMF plugins. Generally there is no reason for doing manual installation if the machine has internet access.

Thanks Peter. I completely agree with you. I will now try using update manager. What I understand from you is that it will also not require me to install GEF and EMF plugins. Thanks.

Appreciate it...Shyam Parhi

Hi! I have similar problem regarding opening the sketching perspective in Eclipse. I used Eclipse 3.5 and used update manager to add wireframe sketcher. I have EMF and GEF installed.

I can see Wireframe Sketcher in 'Installed Software' session, but I cannot see Wireframe sketcher in 'Features' session. And I do not see 'Sketching' when I click Open Perspective --> Other...

Please help. Many thanks.

Xiao,

This is strange. Did you restart Eclipse after installing the plugin? Otherwise send me your Eclipse log file and I'll take a look. The log file location is <workspace>/.metadata/.log.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll tell you more info which might help you to pinpoint the problem.

I installed 'Eclipse Classic 3.5.0 (162 MB)' from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/. Then I successfully installed 'GEF' via update manager by adding this site 'http://download.eclipse.org/tools/gef/update-site/releases/site.xml'. However, I could not completed 'EMF' installation via update manager by adding this site 'http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/updates/releases'. There are many components came up when after adding the site. I ticked them all. The there was an error message stating missing 'org.eclipse.ocl [1.1.0,2.0.0]'. Therefore, I just copied and pasted the contents in Features and Plugin from separated downloaded zip file into the Eclipse Features and Plugin folders.

I guess these can be the problems causing Wireframe Sketcher installation. Can you give me some advice on what I have done wrong? Many thanks.

Xiao

Xiao,

You don't need to manually install GEF nor EMF under Eclipse 3.5 when using the update manager. See this link for step by step instructions for Eclipse 3.5:

http://wireframesketcher.com/install_details.html#eclipse35

Thanks. So I don't even need to install EMF and GEF via Update Manager at all. I just need to install Wireframe Sketcher. That is all. Is it corrent?

Now, I tried to install Skether on Eclipse 3.5 via Update Manager. The installation could not completed. Here is the error details taken:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found. Software being installed: WireframeSketcher 1.4.4 (com.wireframesketcher.feature.group 1.4.4) Missing requirement: WireframeSketcher 1.4.4 (com.wireframesketcher.feature.group 1.4.4) requires 'org.eclipse.gef 0.0.0' but it could not be found

Yes, this is correct. In fact Eclipse 3.5 is smart enough to download and install GEF and EMF plugins automatically.

Xiao,

Can you try a complete install from scratch? I mean start with a completely new Eclipse install. I suspect that entering update sites for EMF and GEF broke the update manager.

Peter, the above error I mentioned was based on the condition that I just installed Sketcher on Eclipse 3.5 without separate EMF and GEF installation. Can you advise what action I need to rectify the error that I experienced. Thanks.

Xiao,

What OS are you on? I've just tested Eclipse Classic on Ubuntu and everything installs correctly. Also if you can check the Java version that is used to run Eclipse. It must be at least Java 1.5. You can find it by selecting:

Help->About Eclipse SDK->Installation Details->Configuration

And then look for the line containing java.version=XXX.

OK. It is 'java.version=1.4.2_05'. So it looks like that I should upgrade my java version then.

Xiao,

I'm glad we've found the root of the problem! Eclipse 3.5 requires Java 1.5, but you can run it using Java 1.4. It won't say anything but disable some of the plugins that say they need 1.5. Not very intuitive.

I'll update the installation page and list Java 1.5 as the minimum requirement.

Regards,

Peter, thank you so much. I can get the sketching perspective now. Very happy!